Cedar Plank Grilled Shrimp #wmtmoms

One of my favorite things to do during the summer is grilling. There is something about the smokey taste infused with my meat and vegetables of choice that just makes my mouth water. And of course, the clean up is easy and the house does not get hot from my cooking. Last month I took a trip to Bentonville to visit the Walmart headquarters with my fellow Walmart moms and we were treated to a grilling presentation by Kingsford, Chef Ernest Sevantes and Western.  It was a treat because all of the food that was served was simple to prepare and delicious!



One of the things that I really enjoy when grilling is to use a cedar plank. Cedar planks, especially with fish dishes provide a taste that is delicious. I usually will smoke salmon on cedar planks but during the presentation Chef Ernest smoked shrimp and my immediate thought was “that’s genius!” Shrimp are quick and easy to prepare and on the grill are done in no time at all. I decided to try my hand at marinating shrimp and smoking them on a cedar plank that I found at Walmart in the grilling section.

But I also wanted to add some additional smoke so I purchased the Kingsford Mesquite Match Light charcoal
I was a fan of Kingsford before my trip, so using them was a no brainer. The charcoal catches quickly without needed lighter fluid. I like the simplicity of use without fear of burning myself to a crisp! And for my grill, I used the one that I purchased last year at Walmart for $17.00.


For the shrimp I used locally sourced (and for Atlanta that means from Florida) Key West pink shrimp. I always check the labels on seafood that I purchase to ensure that it is from a local source or from the US. Because Atlanta is landlocked, finding seafood that I trust can be challenging but I have never had an issue when trying to find local seafood at my Walmart.



The rest was simple! I marinated the shrimp in the juice of one lemon and one lime. I added cilantro, salt and pepper and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour. In the meantime, I piled the coals on the grill and let them heat up. I removed my shrimp from the marinade, placed them on the cedar plank and put them on the grill. I let it cook for approximately 7 minutes, watching to make sure they were not overcooked because nobody likes tough shrimp!

And voila! I had grilled shrimp. Quick and easy, a perfect summer meal!


Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 lemon
1 lime
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
salt
pepper

Method
Juice both the lemon and the lime (I roll them, cut in half and using a twisting motion extract the juice. I use a strainer to catch the seeds).
Place juice in a ziplock bag.
Add chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
Add Shrimp to marinade and place in refrigerator for an hour of more.
Remove shrimp and place on cedar plank.
Add to grill and cook for approximately 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve!

For more summer grilling recipes check out my fellow Walmart moms:











Comments

Popular Posts